Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow day!

We get snow here rarely and I forgot to blog about it!

So we had a nice flurry here last December, and I thought it would be reminiscent of last year's when we had a 'big one'. Well, for us it was a 'big one', heh heh. Enough that I stayed home for a week as driving is just not worth it, unless you really, really need to do so.

I was supposed to work 1/2 that day (December 29) as I had such a bad headache. But I got caught up with some work, so I ended up going home around 2 o'clock. As I got outside, there it was...snow! Big flakes! But it wasn't sticking yet.

I was thinking about our area and higher elevations, so I hurried out. Good thing the roads were still ok, and closer to our area, snow was sticking and was starting to get slippery (and that made me miss my AWD Subies so much...).


Rin is about 4" high, so we had at least an inch of snow I guess.

When I got home, the white stuff was everywhere, and people were having fun in the snow, including myself!

I walked around, talked to some neighbors, while lugging the camera and taking some shots. Also sent text messages to friends, warning them about the snow and to go home as early as possible. And also to avoid back roads.


Snow continued to fall until later in the evening. Here's Rin on the fence while
enjoying the snow.


Later I got a call from a friend and she asked for my help to check on her daughter at the daycare/school. So off with Squeaks (my 4x4 Cherokee) I went. I also picked up her husband (also a good friend) and we both got to the daycare and everyone was safe and sound.

Snow is a mixed bag - one moment it's so nice, serene and the next it could turn outright dangerous. As long as you keep in mind about the physics of things (i.e., snow = slippery regardless of any kind of traction you have), you'll be fine.

But the problem is again, as always, the other blokes around you who think that having chains and 4x4 means 'teh sticky'. Thank goodness I haven't had to deal with any of those.

In any case, looks like this is our 'snow' for the winter season here in the valley. Could there be another one ready to surprise us? I guess we'll find out when (and if) it gets here. :-)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment