Sunday, November 8, 2009

Is a DSLR worth it?

I've had that question in my mind for a long time. Back then, DSLRs were still pretty expensive, and if you're not really into photography, it isn't something that you need to have. A point-and-shoot will work great for the casual user.

I guess I fall between the casual and heavy camera user. When I was in high school, we had two cameras at home - a Ricoh KR-5 SLR and a point and shoot 110 film camera (I think it was a Vivitar). Whenever the budget allows, I always get film for the 110 and bring it along and take pics as often as I can (and as often as the budget allows).

The Ricoh is owned by my sister, and before anyone can use it, one needs to ask for clearance from her before first. Of course, film and developing isn't cheap, but everytime I had my hands on that SLR, I just enjoyed taking pictures a lot more.

Back to present day - Friday (11/6) night, I was at Costco, procrastinating about getting a DSLR. I had a brand in mind already, the Canon Rebel XSi. I walk in, and fiddle with the demo models. I liked the Canon DSLRs and they do take awesome pictures. While looking around, I noticed that their newer entry-level DSLR, the T1i, was on a special sale. Now that made me procrastinate more.

The T1i is a newer model, has a better sensor than the XSi, and it has 15 megapixels (effective). Though that megapixel number really doesn't matter, and is more a concern if one is thinking to print bigger sized photos. It does sound nice though.

Time to leave first and think. So I get a churro and a drink and mulled about it more. Halfway through the churro, I decided to get the camera.


The T1i, my very first digital SLR. Will I be keeping it? Or returning it after 90 days?

Of course immediately after paying and all, I again thought, '...will I be using this thing enough to justify the cost?' I didn't have an answer then, but when I got home and started taking pictures with it, I do believe it was worth the buy.

I immediately reminisced that feeling I had when I first took and developed my first pictures with our old Ricoh SLR back then. And it was a good feeling indeed. :)

The quality of pictures and the versatility a DSLR offers is worth its weight in gold. Yes, not everybody needs one, and even some point-and-shoot digicams can (almost) rival a DSLR's picture quality, and is a no-brainer choice for casual/everyday users. The point-and-shoots are also compact and way easier to carry around (yes, captain obvious, hehehe).

But as for versatility, overall image quality, and upgradability, the buck stops there for the point-and-shoots, and this is where the DSLRs shine (provide you do know what you are doing and understand at least the photography basics). Considering too that most DSLRs can use the same lenses that the film SLR cameras use, now that is a big plus.

So I guess I'll be hanging on to this unit for a while...

...I do have 90-days to 'change my mind' though, just in case, so let's see what happens... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment