Friday, November 6, 2009

Reard drum brakes...

Rear drum brakes for-the-lose (FTL)! Yep, that's my opinion. It's a bit ironic to hear from a guy with both vehicles that have rear drum brakes though. :P

Nevertheless, I believe it should be 4-wheel disc brakes standard now for ALL cars on ALL trims.

I do understand - the drum brakes cost less for the manufacturer, and sort of in a way to the consumer, since drum brakes do last longer than disks. In reality, main stopping power is handled by the front brakes, with the rears in more of an 'assist' mode.

Drum brakes are not easy to replace too (DIY). And they don't work really well for powersliding and making handbrake turns (I know it doesn't apply to all, but I like doing this from time to time...) ;-)



Handbrake-assisted turn in a Subaru WRX.

My best brake system experience to date is with my 'former' Subaru STi (4-piston front, 2-piston rear). Those Brembos are really neat, both in stopping performance and DIY maintenance. Changing out the pads and cleaning/lubing the components - such a breeze to do!

But you can't always get what you want, and I have to face the drum brake facts. I still have to try and work on a rear drum brake system, and I'll be doing one soon (with Yuki, my Mazda Protege).

Just a simple takedown and cleaning, maybe replace the shoes - I hope I don't lose any of the retaining springs and clips! :P I'll post more on this project when I start it.

Cheers! ^-^

No comments:

Post a Comment