Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Firmware 'Grimware'

Last week I did the infamous v.3.21 firmware upgrade on my PS3. I was hesitant before since i saw a bunch of posts about this version causing widespread issues after the update was run.

Basically this firmware removes a feature in PS3, the 'Other OS' feature, which used to allow one to install a different OS on the unit, say like UNIX/Linux. I guess Sony got wind of what 'hard core' users are doing so they decided to pull out that feature as part of the regular firmware updates.


A little 'outdated' pic of my MMS (multi-media setup). The Toshiba analog DVD Recorder has been decommissioned and replaced by a Panasonic DVD recorder with digital tuner.

But it didn't go well with some units, specially the 'phat' PS3s. Issues range from YLODs, game freezes, non ejecting or non-reading BD drives. Now a lot also had no issues after the upgrade.

And I'm fortunate to say I didn't have any issues...so far. So were a few friends of mine. I haven't really ran my PS3 again until this writing since the upgrade...so...we'll see!

God only knows what "surprises" will be embedded in the next update...so stay tuned, and keep your eyes peeled. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment