Sunday, April 18, 2010

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

One of the first games I picked up for the Wii is Okami. I've heard so much about it back then, and I'd say one of my most favorite games to date.

It's no HD 'eye candy' at all, but the art created for the game makes up so much for that.

Then I heard about Muramasa: The Demon Blade. People were praising the game, despite it's simplicity, the game's graphics are very nice, and also considering it's on a Wii (so no HD here too folks).

So I swung by the local game store and picked one up.


Muramasa is a 2D side-scroller action/RPG type game. Nothing flashy, but the graphics is presented in such a very nice way. And kudos for retaining the original Japanese spoken dialogues!

It's a simple 2D side-scroller RPG/action game. But the way it is presented is really very nice and I loved the game the moment I started the 'Shura' mode (the more action-based and story mode).

Indeed it reminds me of Okami, and though Okami has more dynamic interaction, Muramasa is a gem in it's own right.

I am also very glad that the developers kept the original Japanese dialogue and just added subtitles for it. That was a very good move in my opinion, as the Japanese dialogue adds to the game's uniqueness and setting.

You can select two 'paths' depending on which character you want to play: Kisuke or Momohime. I chose the latter, and will play Kisuke's path after I finish with Momohime's.

The game is quick, and there are unique controls to master for 'combos' (meaning button mashing is part of the strategy here, hehe).

I can't believe I let this game slide and pick it up after 1 year. But better late than never.

I also thought that I would be returning/trading the game in after I play it. Boy am I eating my words now.

And yes, Alter has also created a very nice 1/8 PVC figure of Momohime and will be out in July 2010. And you darn well know that I will be getting this one for sure!!


I missed Alter's limited release of P4's Yukiko Amagi and felt bad about that. I will not make the same mistake with this Momohime 1/8 figure - I'll get this one for sure!

It's not a game for everyone though, specially if you are out for high-end graphics or deeper storylines.

But if you are a 'true' gamer and know how to appreciate different gaming genres, I highly suggest you try Muramasa out.

And see beauty in simplicity, on screen. ;-)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment