Friday, September 25, 2009

Code of Silence

Ended up at my usual Sushi spot - Sushi Town - after reading some periodicals and contemplating whether to get Persona PSP...and a PSP 3000 unit. Of course that was a no brainer - I didn't get the PSP. Well, not just yet. I can't even keep up with my DSi. Though the new Persona port to the PSP, and upcoming Persona 3 port, will surely feed my interests in getting the PSP someday.

Back to the main topic...as I sat down and readied myself to have my 6-plate showdown, I noticed two ladies seated to my right. One of the ladies was waving at one of the chefs and pointing to a plate of baked mussels. I didn't mind it at first, then I saw a few more hand gestures from her and her friend - then it dawned on me. They can't talk (mute), hence the sign language.

It's amazing watching them actually. They're both communicating fast, and it was just like a quiet version of regular chit-chat amongst those who can talk. And I somehow felt their enthusiasm and happiness as they 'talked'. It was quiet, but the sign language animates the conversation and that adds to the liveliness of their communication. And this is not through regular speech, but still, that 'energy' you still see and feel. I have a friend back home, and his brother is deaf-mute. But he always hung out with us and even taught us how to do sign language. I still remember how to do A-Z! And I remember how we get really animated while talking, while also trying to learn new sign language words and phrases. He can actually talk a bit, I'd say similar to Marlee Matlin. So he can voice out words a bit, but sign-language is his main communication line.

I wondered also how it feels like for them not to be able to talk. Definitely they have accepted that, which in turn is very impressive, since it takes a strong will and drive to do so. That's the human spirit for you I guess. :-)

And as I left the sushi place, I kind of reflected a bit, about how lucky most of us are to have complete and working 5-senses. Let's all be very grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment