Thursday, September 3, 2009

Handhelds - yay or nay?

I've always been a fan of handhelds, more specifically, the Nintendo units.

They are the frontrunners, and holding their fort in this category of gaming systems to date. Of course, the next closest player would be Sony's PSP system.

I guess it applies to both handhelds and consoles - what game they provide is the actual selling point. Sure, there's battery life, wifi capability, backwards compatibility and the like - but it all boils down to the games available.

Look at the venerable PS2. It has the widest gaming library, and is also a niche for RPG gamers. As simple a unit as it is, it's still going strong.

On the handheld side, Nintendo's DS line has got a long list of titles too, and that works in their favor.

I say this because I never ever considered getting a PSP - but that changed just recently now that two of my favorite RPG games are being ported over to the PSP (the Persona SMT series).

Just goes to show how the availability of content can make a huge difference in the consumer world. ;-)

And having two handhelds doesn't sound bad, there's the variety. But does one really need it? I don't think so, but it depends again on the person. For me it's a 'yay' for handhelds - and I don't see that changing, even in the distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment