Thursday, September 10, 2009

Need an in-car radar detector?

When I came to the US and got my first car (a black V6 'Stang), one of the first accessories my good friend recommended to me was a radar detector. My reason for getting it, aside from the 'cool' factor, was for awareness.

I didn't get it because I'd be doing +20mph at every opportunity I can, but more for the 'heads-up' and awareness factor. Sure, everyone will 'let the horses loose' once in a while (wish I could say that about my Jeep...it's more like letting goats loose...). But with my previous Subies, I would do that.

My next radar detector was a huge upgrade in both price and quality. Mostly price. But it has served me really well. It detects radar presence well beyond and far, and of course some rare false alarms now and then. But whenever it pings and says 'KA', 99.9 percent you'd see the cop around. Now with newer speed laser radars (Lidars) that's a different topic. If you're alone in the road and zipping along and the detector screams 'LASER' - you're it. I've never been tagged with a laser, but have had the thing report it more than once, as it detects the laser 'breakup' or spread from the car that was targetted.

So am I just saying these things to justify my purchase? I'd say 50/50. I do believe I've been 'saved' from speeding tickets with these gadgets - though I did say that for both the older and cheaper Cobra and my current Passport unit.

To each his/her own then. You will definitely see quality and features not found in the lower brands. As for performance, I personally believe you'll see better performance too. Again, it's a matter of personal choice.

Edit: Just off a chat regarding this matter and a very practical and sensible suggestion was suggested by a very good friend - "So just don't speed then...". Touche' ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment